Greenwich Observatory has been founded in 1675 on the banks of the river Thames near the city of London. It was equipped with refractors and transit circle. In 1957 the instruments were transferred to the Herstmonceux Castle in the Sussex and the old building became a museum. A large telescope named "Isaac Newton" of 98 pouces (2m 50 diameter of the mirror) was built on the grounds of Herstmonceux Castle.
The telescope was transferred in the Canary Islands and the astronomers in Cambridge but the Greenwich Observatory closed definitely in 1999.